Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Persimmon

Persimmons?

This little tree is in the same garden as the scallions from last week. I loved the look of it despite the tinge of sadness in the drying fruit. I believe those are persimmons (which I love). I couldn't get closer as I don't know the garden owner.

The little tree makes me think of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. Which makes me want to make this persimmon tree my honorary Lunar New Year tree. February 7 will be the first day of the new year for many Asian communities, families and individuals. We will be celebrating the year of the rat (or mouse, if you prefer). If you are Vietnamese, you call Lunar New Year, Tet.

There is typically not a lot of Tet festivities going on in Seguin -- not in public anyway. But Mark and I usually do the house up in preparation. For now, I would like to point you to a few other Daily Photo Blogs I enjoy visiting -- Subang Jaya, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. These, in particular, are in Asian countries so you can get a glimpse of what other people do to prepare for New Year's Day. Me? I must start cleaning house!

14 comments:

Southern Heart said...

Thien, I thought that it looked a little sad, too...but the fruit color is quite pretty. I hope that your Lunar New Year will be a good one!

Anonymous said...

They look like little red lanterns. Best wishes for the New Year! Are you a rat? I am a pig :-)

Pat said...

It IS sad! Thanks for sharing it with us. Let's all think happy thoughts for this lovely tree that doesn't want to part with its harvest!

Pat

Guelph Daily Photo, Pat's Photo-a-Day

AlanDP said...

I don't think it's sad. I just think it's very evocative of winter-time. I love the textures of the old fence and the rusty tin roof. You could make a hardcopy version of this about 18 inches tall and frame it. Great photo.

Unknown said...

Alan's right. Initially when I saw it, my first emotion was one of sadness that the fruit was drying up. But that feeling was fleeting and then it gave me good feelings of Tet and the new year and they do look like lanterns, Clarice. :)

Now I really want to make it my Tet tree. Wish I had one at my house!

Unknown said...

Oh sorry, I am born year of the Rooster!

brian stout said...

it reminds me of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree also, which i always had a soft spot for! nice photo...

Jilly said...

I always find this tree amazing with its fruit and no leaves. In France it's called a Kaki. Nice photo.

Dan said...

Thien, Nice photo. I would love to see this same tree in just a couple of months after spring starts. Although this is kind of melancholy it also holds the promise of new life.

Unknown said...

I will be sure to go back by there in the spring!

J.C. said...

Congratulations, Thiên!

I am delighted to pass you the “You Make My Day” Award for your photoblog and dedication! Please visit SubangJayaDailyPhoto blog to receive the Award and pass it on!

Your interesting photo always make me return to your blog!! I am also born in the Year of Rooster! Hee..hee..we share the same trait of Rooster, i.e flamboyant!! And I love persimmons too, especially those from Korea that we can buy easily from the market these days. Alas, we can't grow any in our garden! Otherwise, it would be nice to have one too!

Joel Bangilan said...

Gung Hay Fat Choi! I know that's chinese but I don't know how to say it in vietnamese.

Joy said...

This has been very educational for me. Thanks for the info about the persimmons!

I miss celebrating the Chinese New Year in the Philippines - though I am not Chinese myself. I miss the gold coins, the Chinese chewy cake and the feng shui experts on TV!


joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
The Goddess In You

Squirrel said...

I like the colors of the fruit, the roof and the fence--very pretty --