Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Nopalitos at HEB

Preparing the nopalitos

Yesterday I went to our local grocery store (HEB) and saw these two ladies preparing these for sale. Nopal means cactus in Spanish and nopales is term for cactus stem. Nopalitos are the pads after they are prepared for cooking. These are from the prickly pear cactus.

Before I moved here, I didn't know these pretty cactus plants could also be eaten in tacos! I have tried a chicken taco before with nopalitos. It looks a little bit like sliced bell peppers but the taste is not the same. I'll have to try it again to refresh my memory since it's been a while.

3 comments:

Southern Heart said...

I have never tasted that, but it sounds like something I would like.

Neva said...

I am not sure I could eat one but maybe I could!!

Joel Bangilan said...

The cactus fruit is sooooo good. You have to try that some time.