Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Pecans

Pecans

It's that time of year again. No, not just Christmas! It's time to harvest pecans (or buy somebody else's harvested work). These were picked up from our front yard. There are lots of pecan trees in Seguin, as you may recall from an early post I had of our Big Pecan.

This year, the worms did not kill off the harvest but as usual the squirrels are doing their best at eating up anything they can get a hold of. What kills me is that they only eat 1/3 or 1/2 of the pecan and then they toss it down. Anyway, that's another story. I am not fond of our huge population of squirrelly squirrels.

I missed the PecanFest this year. Not sure when they had it down at the Pecan Bottom but it has not yet grown much beyond a display of pecans and printed info and occassionally some baked goods.

I will soon snap a shop of a great place to go for pecans and other gifts -- Pape's Pecan House, home to yet another "big pecan." There's a dispute over who has the right to claim this.

3 comments:

Annie said...

It's time to make a pie or cookies or cake or . . . anything with pecans would be good.

Anonymous said...

Ah Yes! Pecans..I especialy use to like eating the large ones.

Squirrelman said...

I like pecans too, but I also like squirrels. I've been collecting them around the Dallas area, and selling them to people who feed the critters. http://squirrelawareness.blogspot.com