Thursday, February 03, 2011

Happy Lunar New Year

Incense to remember

...also known as Vietnamese New Year (Tet) or Chinese New Year. :-) It's the year of the Rabbit or Cat, depending on which book you read. Either way, it's off to a brand new year for us and that meant a day off from work, whic I have been trying to do for many years now. I make time in the morning to quietly pay my respects to my ancestors and to give thanks and ask for blessings in the coming year. This is part of the little prayer table I put together and it includes some fresh fruit as well as sweet treats, flowers, candles and incense. I know it will be another great year for our family!

Having a day off also means when I run errands and see something interesting, I actually have time to stop the car, get out and snap pictures. I had a great time today doing that despite nearly freezing my legs off in the 10 degree wind chill we had here in Seguin. I had not put on a second layer under my trousers and boy did I feel the difference. But more than that, my eyes watered to the point I couldn't see clearly to photograph after about seven minutes. What a wimp. It's so different from the cold I felt in Virginia last week. That was tolerable. I'm sure it had to do with the humidity levels. Anyway, here's a shot of an ice sculpture on Kingsbury/Highway 90 before you get to the Guadalupe River bridge as you drive towards IH10 West. Someone stuck their water hose up the tree. Hope it survives its encasing.

Ice tree 3

And here's one more shot of another tree that was iced because the sprinkler system was not turned off. We're expecting/hoping (I don't think I'm in the minority on this one) for a few inches of snow over night. I will certainly post a shot if we get anything worthy of mention. Keep warm out there!

Icy tree at CMC

No comments: