Sunday, May 23, 2010

Caterpillars & Butterflies

Caterpillar legs

This season seems to be packed with beautiful creatures of all sizes. I love butterflies but before they become those beautiful creatures, they are these multi-legged caterpillars that aren't really my favorite things to encounter. I don't kill them; I just don't want them on me. Yet, for some reason, karma or self-fulfilling prophecy or chance or wicked joke of Mother Nature...they end up on me at times or I see them a mile away, wiggling across the road or near the hives in the bee yards. lol

So, I don't know why but I've been wondering what drives these caterpillars to cross the roads as they are doing now. A LOT OF THEM. Especially on the way to Gonzales. We see many fuzzy caterpillars booking it across. What makes them do that, I wonder. Anyway, they have been turning into pretty butterflies that flutter all over the place, especially out in the countryside. A friend pondered aloud on Friday what butterflies eat. I was happy to tell him that I know the ones we've seen enjoy nectar from flowers, just as the bees do. So, they are competing with our bees for food! Good thing there's plenty to go around this year.

Butterfly

1 comment:

Hope said...

beautiful photos!