Friday, March 13, 2009

Sky Watch Friday

March09 Brush Fire 014

One day a couple of weekends ago, we were on our way to HEB to buy groceries and Mark saw some smoke off in the distant sky and asked if I wanted to go check it out. Of course I said yes. As we got closer to the source, the smoke cloud got bigger and bigger. Finally, we saw what was happening and so we stopped a good distance away so we wouldn't be in anyone's way or in danger and then we watched. It was scary but also pretty fascinating. The firefighters who were on the scene put out the flames finally but not before the fire pushed past into some new areas on the right of the picture. Eventually, the police blocked the roads so people wouldn't keep driving too close. The flames were really high! The swirling smoke was pretty neat looking also.

We are still in a drought BUT this week we actually got over an inch of rain!! Hooray!! It's suppose to rain tomorrow as well, which would be fantastic. AND it's only in the 40s so I am loving it. I love cold weather for many reasons, one of which is that I get to wear a jacket and my favorite black hat so my head stays dry and warm. Next week we are back up in the upper 70s. :(

To see other great sky shots, be sure to check out Sky Watch.

OH....and I almost forgot to say this: Today is my favorite day/date -- Friday the 13th! :) Good day for me typically.

5 comments:

E @ Scottsville said...

Praise God for the rain!!

We saw that fire, too. We drove towards it for about 10 miles and then finally gave up and went back to our destination. Glad you found it for me. =0)

Colin Campbell said...

We got some rain this week. Very welcome in this part of the world.

Lowell said...

I was going to say, someone's smoking a really, really big cigar!

This is very nice photograph. The scene (without the smoke) is typically Sequin.

Has Sequin grown much in the past 10-20 years?

Thanks for coming by my blogs, too!

B SQUARED said...

We are having our driest winter ever recorded. Fires are breaking out and the rainy season is 2 1/2 months away.

Miss Jessica said...

Ohhh Thien, I was at that fire!! You must have gotten there right after I did because that officer's car that is in the picture didn't block off that section of the road for about 10 minutes after I got there. COOL.