Sunday, May 31, 2009

Baby Bluejay

Poor little birdie

Last week Mark and I heard a great big bird commotion outside, I mean it was LOUD! So we went to check the action. I saw a Bluejay and it was squaking (or whatever the official Bluejay sound is called) like there was no tomorrow. And wouldn't you know it, there was Smokey, sitting nearby along the fence, looking suspicious (to me anyway). I went over to see if Smokey had anything to do with the fuss and the answer was y-e-s. Oh my goodness, he was sitting right next to this poor little baby and it looked scared to death! He wasn't on it; he wasn't biting it; he was simply there. About eight inches away from the bird, maybe less. So I snatched up Smokey and put him in the house so that the birds could settle down and hopefully fly off.

It didn't look like baby was hurt, probably just stunned, and it had trouble flying but it tried. In the picture below, you can see the zoomed out shot of where it took sanctuary after escaping Smokey's clutches. The parent bird is up on top of the fence, coaxing it. I think Bluejays are vey beautiful and unique looking birds, but they sure do make a lot of noise. Especially if they are feeling threatened. :)

Parent & Baby Bluejay

My mom used to garden while we lived in NC and there was a Bluejay that would swoop down on her even though its nest was not near our yard at all. My mom would try to talk to it and tell it she wasn't bothering them but she wasn't going anywhere either. I don't know why, that memory has stayed with me a long time.

1 comment:

E @ Scottsville said...

Oh wow!!! He's beautiful! Great shot close up and all!!! =0)