Wednesday, October 01, 2008

It's Archeology Month!

Saffold Property

Hi everyone! I'm back from NJ and I had a blast. It was so much nicer than I had anticipated. You can read about it on Ta-Ravel Blog if you want more on that.

Last weekend, we were invited to visit Floyd and Jody McKee, current owners of the Saffold property located on Austin Street, across from Starke Park and the dam. We had a great time and got to meet a really nice group of people with interests in archeology, history and preservation. Did you know October is Archeology Month? I didn't until I visited the McKees. They were really nice to open their home to all of us and they allowed us to roam their house and property. I won't go into a detailed history of the property and the McKees' project since others have documented it. You can check a Seguin Gazette article from June and also a more recent article from earlier this week. Mark's research is also mentioned! :) I'll find the other articles when I get a chance and post them tomorrow.

I will post more pictures of our day there in the coming days. Thanks for being patient with me as I don't post regularly anymore when I have to travel.

4 comments:

Bobby D. said...

really nice pic--going to check those links now. I'll try to post something for archeology month (!?) I don't know what yet!

Dan said...

Great post. Love the pic. I like history and am getting more and more informed about McKinney local history. Did you know that McKinney has the second largest historical district in texas? Second only to Galveston.

Tammy said...

I love to photograph (and even used to paint) old buildings. There's just something about them that intrigues me. Great post and welcome home!

E @ Scottsville said...

I love the angle... I wouldn't have thought to take that shot, but its a great one. I love seeing other people's vantage points!